To sign up for utility service with the City of Kalama, call 360-673-4554 or email The City does not require a deposit in order to set up service.

Property Inside City Limits

For residents within the City limits, the City provides water, sewer, and garbage service. Garbage is mandatory. Although the City contracts with Waste Control for garbage collection, you need to contact City Hall for any changes to your garbage service. Click here for more information on garbage service.

Property Outside City Limits

For residents outside the City limits, the City provides water service. If you want garbage service you will need to contact Waste Control directly at (360) 425-4302.

New Property Owners

If you are a new property owner, contact the City and let us know the date water service should be put in your name. When the City is contacted, the meter is read so any usage after that point is billed to you.


If you would like your tenant to receive the water bill, you must sign a Property Owner Authorization form. The tenant will also need to complete the Tenant Authorization form. Although your tenant will be sent the water, this will not relieve you, as property, from responsibility for the bill. Should the tenant leave an outstanding water bill, the bill remains with the property. Property owners are sent a copy of the late notice sent to their tenant. If you receive a late note, be sure and follow up with your tenant to help avoid outstanding water bills at the end of the tenancy.


In order to have the water bill put in your name, you must complete the Tenant Authorization Form. Your landlord will also need to complete a Property Owner Authorization form. Be sure and contact City Hall just before you move in. At that time your meter will be read and your billing will begin with that reading. When you move out of the property, be sure and contact City Hall again so a closing reading can be done.

Undeveloped Property – Determination of Water Availability

When purchasing property, one of the steps will be to determine if water service is available. Contact the City and provide a plot plan of the property that shows the property lines and road frontage. Public Works will go to the site and verify if water service is available. For property outside the City limits, a Letter of Water Availability will be prepared. This document will be needed by the County during the building permit process.

If the property is within the City limits, the building permit is obtained at City Hall. Click here for more information on building permits.

Vacant Property – Purchase of Water/Sewer Hookups

If a water or sewer hookup has not been purchased for the property, in-City hookups need to be purchased when the building permit is picked up. Out-City water hookups are usually purchased soon after construction begins. The hookup fee only represents your right to hook up to the City’s system. There will be an additional parts and labor billed after the City installs the meter. This charge can run $700-$1,000 for typical installations. If any under-road boring or other out-fo-the-ordinary work is done to install the meter, the parts and labor charge will be higher.

Water and sewer hookup charges are reviewed at the beginning of each year. The current rates for hookups are:

Water Hookup - Inside City Limits: $4,000

 Water Hookup - Outside City Limits: $12,000

Sewer Hookup - Where Available: $9,000

Stormwater Fee - Inside City Limits - $200 per ERU

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer