Mayor Reuter Emergency Declaration on COVID-19
Press Release: Operational Changes Effective 3/17/20
Under the Authority of the Mayor’s Proclamation of Emergency for the City of Kalama, in an effort to reduce the risk of transmission through Non-Pharmaceutical Intervention (NPI) the City of Kalama will implement the following operational changes.
Non-essential services and programs will be canceled or postponed until further notice:
- Kalama City Library: Closed until further notice
- Kalama Parks and Recreation Classes: Canceled until further notice
- City Council Workshops: Postponed
- Kalama City Council Meetings will have an abbreviated agenda limited to the authority to issue warrants, payroll vouchers and EFT payments.
- Policy discussion and verbal department reports will be suspended for the time being.
- Public comment will be taken both in person and via alternative methods (recommended). At this time alternative methods include email, printed written comment. The city is exploring telephonic and webhosted interactive video conferencing for the public.
- While the city council meetings will remain open to the public, social distancing and limited occupancy protocols will be implemented. Staff encourages the public to participate through virtual means.
City Hall will be closed for walk-in traffic. Staff will continue operations and we encourage customers to utilize on line bill pay and the utility payment drop box located at the northeast corner of the building. Staff will be available via phone and email to assist customers. Limited person to person contact will be available through appointment. Please call (360)673-4562 for general city business appointments.
Building and Development plan review and inspection services will continue. We encourage digital submission but we can be available for in person transactions by appointment. Please contact the Building & Planning Department at (360) 673-5211 to schedule an appointment.
The Public Works Offices will be closed to walk-in traffic. Please contact the Public Works Department by telephone at (360) 673-3706. Public Works will remain fully operational and 24-hour emergency operations will continue. Public Works staff have been instructed to observe social distancing protocols and may utilize Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when person to person contact is required.
Kalama Police Department is suspending administrative person to person activities such as fingerprinting and intake of Concealed Pistol License applications in person. Records requests and other administrative functions will continue though telephone and digital correspondence. Please contact Kalama Police Department at (360) 673-2165.
Kalama Police Department will continue to provide 24-hour police protection to our community. Officers are on duty and available, as always, please dial 911 for emergencies.
Mayor Reuter and City of Kalama Staff will continue to provide updates through our website, www.cityofkalama.com and city social media platforms. We appreciate the community’s patience with the implementation of the NPI practices and we will restore full service as soon as State Department of Health and Cowlitz County Health and Human Services advise us that the threat is mitigated.